Friday, August 8, 2008

Blessings in Disguise


Okay, so I knew it was bound to happen to me one day. After a wonderful day with my girls at Ikea in West Covina yesterday, I headed home in order to make it to Abi's ballet make-up day scheduled at 3:30. We were making good time. I was in the left lane going about 75 mph right near the temple in Redlands when, BANG, POOOF, I saw tire parts flying behind me....I blew a tire. I immediately put my emergency lights on and made my way over as quickly as I could to the far right lane. I had no idea what caused the blowout and the only thing on my mind as to get to a safe spot quickly. This particular stretch of the freeway had limited shoulder space. I wasn't in a good spot when I stopped, so I decided to creep up the shoulder till I found a gravel area right off of an on ramp. I felt lucky at that point to have made it safe off the road.


Now came the real challenge: changing the tire. It was the driver rear so I made sure I was way away from the road. With my flashers on I prayed that someone would stop to help me knowing it had been eight years since my husband taught me how to change a tire. (Yes, I am pathetic for all of you who can change a tire with their eyes closed.) I called my husband who told me as non-chalantly to change the tire as he would to flush the toilet. "It's not that easy, honey" I said as he explained he was in the middle of a movie and had to go. He told me where to find the spare and jack and I was on my own. I was SO SCARED that I wasn't going to be able to do it. I prayed that someone would stop.


I proceeded to unpack my INCREDIBLY packed car. (Remember, I had just come from Ikea which meant that I had NO ROOM in the back of my van...litterally....I'm not exaggerating.) Not only that, but I was wearing flip flops, capri's, and a white shirt. I had nothing to lay down to keep my knees from getting cut up from the rocks. Luckily, the spare was in the middle which wasn't so bad to get to. I got that out in no time. However, the jack was in the back, so unpacking I went. Ani was screaming and wanted to get out of her seat. Ariel and Abi were just excited to see something knew happening, but could sense my fear and were "on edge" watching me.


Just as I started unpacking the back, a Ford F-150 pulled up and two middle aged men jumped out and asked if I needed help. (It must have been obvious.) They proceeded to change my tire, give my kids water bottles and chips, and carry on a conversation with me in the mean time. They went above and beyond. It was like being served the finest cuisine in a restaurant. They were efficient, friendly, made my kids happy, and answered my prayers. They even gave me a rag to wipe my filthy hands off. Their names were Jay and Matt, work for All Surfaces Stone and Tile in Yucipa, and that's all I know about them. I'm definitely going to be writing a letter to their company.


So, after we were off again going 55 on the freeway the rest of the way home, I promised my very disappointed Abi that we would stop by ballet and find out if there was another time to reschedule her make-up day. After I explained to the receptionist what happened she said "Oh, you know what? We forgot to call everyone and tell them that the class was today at 4:30, not 3:30, so you have five minutes." My eyes widened and jaw dropped. You mean, because I had a flat tire, I am on time!? Abi was thrilled. Not only that, but because they had screwed up, only one other girl was able to make it, so Abi had a semi-private lesson!


I was so grateful that we had prayed as a family together that morning and asked that we be kept safe. Our prayers were answered. I'm so thankful that other people are out there who are willing and happy to help others. I know it could have been a lot worse. It actually turned out fantastic. I have been reminded that there are skills out there that I need to learn and that there are angels watching over us.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Definitely angels out there! I'm so glad that they were there to help you and that you were safe. It makes us all want to be better people and take time out of the "busy" schedules that we make for ourselves to stop and help those in need. Thanks for sharing!