Wednesday, July 23, 2008

All by Myself

Will was told a couple of weeks ago that he had one week to prepare to pass the CSET in Physics, or he would have to teach physical science next year, which he hates. So, my incredibly brilliant hubby spent that week cramming for this exam. This meant that not only was he focused only on this, but he was at home doing it. Bad idea. I love my husband, but having him home ALL day and NOT available physically or mentally drives me insane. We both end up cranky by the end of each day.
The good news is that his test was in San Diego which forced us to have to go to the beach. So sad. I dropped Will off in the late morning and was on my own with the kids for the rest of the day. I am the worlds worst when it comes to directions, so before we left I printed out every possible direction I might need to get to where I was going and back. This included Will's test site to Ikea and back, from Ikea to the beach and visa versa, and from Will's test site to the beach and back. Will thought it wasn't necessary since we have a navigation in our van, but I knew that if for some reason it broke, I would be in BIG trouble.
You guessed it; my navigation lost the satellite signal in the middle of my travels. I was so grateful that I was prepared. It paid off. I didn't get lost ONCE! I was so proud of myself. I went to La Jolla and then to Ikea and didn't even get stressed out! I thought for sure this day would be tough all by myself out of town, but I had a blast I must say. The beach was wonderful. The kids swam and played. I took pictures and enjoyed all the comments of the fellow beach bums of how athletic my kids were body surfing like crazy.

I can't explain how I felt at the end of the day when I knew that my kids had a blast, I was in a good mood, and nothing bad happened the whole time! I guess sometimes I just don't give myself enough credit. I know this may be such a little thing to most people, but for me, this was a big event. It was almost a milestone. "The day Andrea didn't get lost."















5 comments:

Kyle said...

Good for you!!! What a fun trip. Your kids look like they were having so much fun. That is a huge undertaking... taking four kids to the beach, I don't know if I could do it. I love Ikea and it's great to be able to let the kids play while you shop!

Laura said...

Your whole beach adventure is beyond amazing! Fun, safety, good mood... all while being on your own with 4 kids? You deserve the Wonder Woman award!!

Kodi said...

Andrea I feel your "I didn't get lost" joy. I too was not given the gift of the "internal compass" that so many others are. We might be in trouble on the way to Girl's Camp! Good thing for Margo. Looks like a super fun day.

Taryn said...

How fun. I hear ya when it comes to directions in a strange place and all your kids to boot. You always do fun things with your kids! That is awesome ! For Sure!!

Taryn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.