Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sharing Opinions

Recent events have lead me to ponder on the many ways in which people share their opinions. Some people sheepishly chime in when they think no one is listening. Some people cower in the corner when a "hot topic" is announced and share nothing at all. Still there are some who "shout" their opinion without regard to the setting or timing. Then, there are those who have been gifted in being able to share with love and compassion and still state their unflinching view.

Which one am I? The first one. Which one is my husband? Certainly not the "cower in the corner" type. Which one of us is the "better" person? Well, there's a good argument. I don't believe it is a great quality that I posses which causes me to shy away from any form of debate. You could rightfully label me at a door mat. It is also not the most redeeming quality to be labeled a "basher," but at least you couldn't be accused of being a coward.

I have learned from watching close family members that creating any kind of controversy which leads to contention NEVER turns out well. The spirit is ALWAYS turned away even if the intentions were good.

When Christ "gave his opinion" he didn't knock down people's doors. He was simply out there with his "friends" talking about truths. Those that wanted to hear were welcome to, but he didn't chase after those that disagreed. If he was confronted on a matter personally, then he didn't waste time going on and on. His statements were short and to the point...ie.."Render unto Ceasar that which is Ceasar's and unto God that which is God's." O'Reilly has a great phrase that I have started using at home: "Keep it pithy." If you want someone to listen, assume they have a short attention span and sum it up. If they want to know more, then you should elaborate.

1 comment:

Good Will said...

VERY nicely said, my dear. (Is that pithy enough?) :)