Thursday, October 9, 2008

Diet

Okay, here's something you may or may not know about me: I'm a yo-yo dieter. There, I said it, I confessed. I go on these crazy diets, usually loose weight, keep it off for anywhere between a few days to a whole year, then go back to where I was. I can't stop. I can't seem to stop eating all the things I love: pizza, chocolate, candy corn (newest obsession), and whatever else I feel I deserve. Maybe that's it. Maybe that's my problem. I feel like I don't get compensated for what I do, so I reward myself this way. Horrible, isn't it? It's only a reward for the short period of time I have that incredibly tasty food in my mouth and then it's gone, so I want to do it again. This is just as bad as having a drug addiction. I see now why they call it an addiction.

I have GOT to find a way to be satisfied eating healthy. This is just not working. I tried to go on another "diet" Monday, only to have the kids beg me to take them to McDonald's after school "just to play" they promised. Of course, they were hungry, so I bought them food and then I couldn't resist eating all their left-over fries. Will says "it's easy Andrea, eat less and exercise more." Okay, so he's right. I just can't seem to keep the motivation going long enough to do a significant amount of good. I know what the experts say. I've read it all. I know you shouldn't go on fad diets, you should just try to eat one meal a day healthier than normal until you create a habit. I love the way I feel when I "feel" thinner. I hate "feeling" fat. (By the way, I'm not posting this so my friends can say "you're not fat, Andrea. You look great." I don't want cheesy praise.) I just wish I could change my idea of what it is to be "sexy/good looking." It's not anyone else. It's me. If I could be happy with myself, it would change a lot of things. If I could find another way to "reward" myself, or just totally suppress my appetite, that would be great. I know if there was a magical way to do it, Oprah would have found it, so there's really no quick, easy way to fix this.

I told the young women in church a while back that I used to hate the way I looked in high school. Now, I look back and wonder what I was thinking. I was fine! I know that when I'm eighty I'll look at pictures of me now and say "what was I thinking? I was fine." I told them to be happy the way they are now because one day they'll wish they had enjoyed the way their body was at the time. I need to take my own advice. (and I need to go on a diet.) =)

3 comments:

Lizzie said...

I'm sorry Will, but you're crazy. Eating less and exercising ARE the key to losing weight, but it's not EASY! Especially after you've had 4 kids. Holy smokes. I could hardly get the weight off after my second. I can't imagine 2 more. I know what you mean about looking back at pictures and thinking, "Wow, I looked great", but at the moment you felt fat. It's horrible. I wish I knew how to fix it, because I think every girl has felt your feelings. When Kate was about 17 months old and I couldn't get that last 10 lbs off, I finally just started working out like crazy, but didn't worry about the food. I told myself I could eat what I wanted without guilt. My only rule was that I had to listen to my body and what it really wanted to eat. The last 10 lbs just came off. I probably sound like a psycho, and I am in no way telling you, that you should do this and obviously everyone's body is different, and it may never work for me again, but I was just sharing your pain. = ) Good luck, and I know you didn't ask for it, but you DO look incredible. Remember, YOU'VE HAD FOUR KIDS!!!!!

Crazyloca said...

Ok...so ditto what Lizzie said...for me, I just get angry when I limit my food...although it is effective to go "off sugar" for a few weeks to jump start my efforts. So, I just don't eat cookies, candy, cake, soda, ice cream, etc...for a few weeks and eat all the other stuff I want and normally do, I find it helps...then I work out. It helps to find a workout you enjoy. I signed up for a belly dancing class after I had Beckett and it was a great core conditioner and fulfilled my love of dancing, if only one night a week. Good luck...we all feel like that...or at least I do (and I do share your LOVE of food in large quantities!!)

Taryn said...

I loved your comments on how we felt that we looked sooo bad when we really looked great! As advice goes...I can't help you because I love food soooo much!! Let me know when you find a formula that works!! And I don't care what you say you look FABULOUS!!!